I feel like I’m in a bit of a limbo right now. I would love to pick up all my ingredients for my next brew, but I still have over 80 bottles of these two concoctions sitting in my bedroom. I guess this is once again the problem with living in a little two bedroom two bath condo in Washington DC. I wanted to shoot a little blog out here for a little insight on one particular issue for sure. I have really enjoyed the feedback that I’ve received on a few things thus far, and I want to keep everyone in the loop on these beers. I know you may never get to drink them, but I would love to start being able to produce beer a little more regularly. I think some of that may depend on my ability to find a place to store these.
Pretentious Hopster:I’m sure some of you can’t believe I’m talking about this beer on here. I believe I first brewed it two or more months ago; however, it still seems to not be ready for consumption. I put it in the bottles a little over a month ago now. I’m not really sure why it hasn’t quite carbonated yet, but it is really struggling to build any carbonation. The directions I used told me to use DME as the priming sugar and it gave me a specific amount to use. I gave the beer a try after 2 weeks knowing that it wouldn’t be ready yet but hoping to get an idea of the flavor profile and how the carbonation was developing. I really thought it was building at that time. Last week
I opened another bottle I truly thought would have slightly more carbonation to it, but it really seemed to be lacking. I have thought it had some really good flavors in there, but it has been extremely hampered by a lack of carbonation. The book I got it out of said it would take three months to be optimal, so it may just need more time in the bottle to carbonate, but I am not very patient. Should I just keep waiting, or do I need to do something to get this carbonation kicking? I really can’t wait to have a good imperial IPA of my own!
Seppuku Saison: I’ve also written about this one on here before as well. In fact, I got a lot more input on the actual recipe the last time I wrote about this one. As a little reminder, I decided to use a saison base. From here, I used Sorachi hops and Amarillo hops. The Sorachi really had most of hopping responsibility. I put it in at the 60,15, & 5. The Amarillo only went in at the 15. I really wanted to try to focus on Asian flavors, so I added coriander, fresh ginger, and fresh orange zest. The beer really didn’t seem to do a whole lot of activity in primary which had me worried; however, I took the final gravity and saw that I made my mark. I didn’t want to stop there, so I added fresh ginger and orange peel to the secondary for a week as well. They made it into the bottles almost a week ago, so I’m not really sure how it is doing at this point. I’m of course tempted to pop one open this weekend and see how it is progressing, but I’ll give it another week or two before I break down and do that.
As I said earlier, I know what I want to do next, and I’ve already got my next name ready to go for it as well. I really need to free up some bottles for a new brew so once one of my beer is ready I’m going to really enjoy drinking it, and I’ll start to get ready to brew my next one. I feel like I can’t get started until I at least know that bottles are getting emptied. Hopefully that happens soon!